Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Welcome Home Cade!

Introducing Cade Walker Newton, born March 21, 2009 at 7:26 a.m.
I am proud to announce that I am the mom to the most wonderful, healthy baby boy. Cade made his entrance into this world at 7:26 on March 21st, weighing in at 7lbs. 12oz, 20 1/2 inches long. Big Brother Cameron loves his 'My Cade' and has his jealous moments, but overall, is doing great with the adjustment. Check out this video of the two brothers in the hospital:

So, for the story. I started having contractions about 8:00 Friday night. They were pretty intense, so we started timing them. They were about 2-3 minutes apart, but when I would get up and walk around, they wouldn't last as long. I was torn as to whether not it was time to go or not. So, we called Daddy Mike (Josh's Dad) to come over and watch Cameron just in case. The two big men were busy watching the basketball tournament, so I decided to wait until the two games that went into overtime were over. We left the house (me, Josh, and my mom) at about 11:30. I realized half way there that if we checked in to the hospital before midnight (even if it was 11:59) that they would charge us for a whole day (don't you love insurance?), so we waited in the parking lot for about 15 minutes before actually going in! Once we finally got up to labor and delivery, the nurse checked to see if I was dilated and I was still only 2cm and 50% effaced, which is what I was at the doctor's office the day before. She told me I was just dehydrated and ordered me to drink a HUGE glass of water and she would check me again in an hour to see if this was the real thing or not. Apparently, if it wasn't the water would make my contractions go away. When she was leaving the room, I told her that I was not leaving the hospital without a baby, even if the doc had to start pitocin. She had no reply and just left. Needless to say, I couldn't drink all of that water, so I made my mom poor most of it down the sink!! Thanks Mom for being my culprit!!

She came in an hour later and told me that the doc said I could stay! YIPEE!! And even better, the sweet nurse (who we came to call YaYa) went ahead and ordered my epidural!! What a smart woman!! I cried the entire time they put in my I.V. and Josh was a trooper and held my hand the whole time. The I.V. is seriously the worst part of having a baby for me!! The wonderful anesthesiologist came in about 2:30 to give me the epidural and wasn't sure he could do it at first because of my wonderful shingles. I never thought of that, but luckily, the shingles were about two inches away from where he was going to put in the epidural, so with some careful work, he was able to work around it. Josh was great through the epidural and held my hand without even taking a peak, but right at the end, I looked at him and his poor face was as white as a ghost. He quickly left the room and mom stepped in. I don't know what happened to Joshy, but luckily he left the room before fainting! Needless to say, neither of us do very good with needles!

About 4:00, the checked me again and I was only dilated to a 4. The doc came in at 5:00 and broke my water and told me that the reason my water hadn't broke is because my bladder was so full. Thank you nurse YaYa who made me drink all of that water!! At around 5:45, I started feeling my contractions a little. This never happened with Cameron. The nurse checked me again, and I was dilated to a 6!! Go me!! Again, around 6:15 or so, I could really feel tightness during a contraction and was having to breath through them a little. She decided to check me again and I was an 8!! They called my doctor (who came up just to deliver me and then went home to celebrate her twin's first birthday) and Cade made his entrance into this world at 7:26. Josh, my mom, his mom, 3 nurses, and Dr. Harrell were all there to welcome him. I felt a lot more this time and wish that the epidural had worked a little longer. I didn't feel it ALL, but too much for me!! But, when I look at my little boy, I know it was all worth it.

Cameron and Daddy came up to meet Cade around noon that day. We enjoyed a couple of hours of being a family of four. Cade brought Cameron some new trains and sticker books and Cameron was in love with his gift. He loves to hug and kiss on Cade (as you can see from the video above). We have had a few visitors since we have been home and luckily they all pay special attention to Cameron, so he thinks they are there for him.

Enjoy these pictures of our new family!

Cade Walker Newton:
Big Brother Cameron:

Big Brother Cameron showing off his train gift from Cade: (he is so proud of these trains)
Cameron giving his brother some lovin':
So now I face the challenge of keeping this blog up to date with all of the 'going ons' in the Newton family. I am sure I will get better with time!

Thank you all for your well wishes and congratulations! We love our sweet boy and feel so blessed to have to WONDERFUL sons!!


Sarah said...

Congratulations, Newton Family!

He is beautiful, and Cameron is such a sweetie!

So happy for you guys!

katie newton said...

I love your video!!! Such a sweet big brother!!!

Emily said...

Congrats, he is beautiful!! Sounds liek you had a picture perfect delivery-i wish mine was so easy!! Be sure to keep us updated with new pic's!

The Smallwood Family said...

He looks like you Dawn!! Congratulations - the video of the two of them is so sweet! And I totally agree with you on the IV part, even ending with a C section, the IV was the part I hated the most!