Thursday, April 9, 2009

Got milk?

Disclaimer: If you have tried this before, I apologize for making fun of it...just not my cup of tea!

I have been reading up on Thrush since Cade and I were diagnosed on Tuesday. During my search, I came across an article on babycenter.com titled:

"My husband wants to taste my breastmilk, is it o.k. if he does.?"

Weird question I think to myself. Then, I read on...and things get even more weird!!

Here is the response from the expert:

It's fine to offer him a taste. If he wants to suckle, though, make sure that you, he, and/or the baby don't have a communicable virus or infection such as thrush or herpes that can pass easily among the three of you.

Remarkably, the immunological properties of breast milk benefit humans at any age. Human milk has even been used in some cases to treat various illnesses in adults. Many breastfeeding mothers tell me that their husbands and older siblings want to try Mom's milk. If you're comfortable with this request, what you do in the privacy of your home is up to you.

Did she seriously use the word 'suckle'? Now, moving on for the more disturbing part...yes, it gets more disturbing...there were 162 replies to this article. Rather than making you read all 162 responses, I thought I would do the work for you and share with you the best ones...

"I personally don't find anything wrong with this, my husband has been drinking my milk off and on for almost 6 years now and let me tell you he has never once gotten sick.... we all got food poisoning and he didn't get sick its amazing how breast milk works :) Good luck and have fun :)"



"after i had my 2nd-(he was adopted)..i pumped my milk and drank it myself.... i didn't get sick in any way for nearly 3 years!!!so yeah,if you wanna share-go for it!! it will benefit you both...."



"Ok, so my hubby didnt ever ask. But, I have a 13yr old cat that sat next to me when I pumped. One day I wasnt paying attention and the bottle filled. She lapped it up and ever since when she hears me sit down with the pump, she is right there and she loves on the pump while I am pumping and purrrrrrs. So, the other day I had filled 1 bottle and only pumped about a 1/4 oz after that, not enough to save. So I put it in a bowl and she drank it. My hubby thinks its gross, but I told him that we drink cows milk, in thought how gross is that. But now my cat is addicted and has tried to grab at the pump while I am pumping. I only give her a tiny bit in a bowl once in a blue moon, but she is super addicted, lol. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I say do what is comfortable."



"We made ice cream with mine! "


And just in case any of you want to read it all, click here.

I just can't believe that some woman would be producing milk for her husband SIX YEARS LATER!! WHAT?!?! And, I love animals and all...but seriously why in the world would you pump milk for your cat? And ice cream? Are these people joking? I really hope so...

Now...off to give some milk...TO MY SON!!

5 comments:

Julie said...

There simply are no words for some of those responses!!

Rebecca & Nathaniel said...

I am totally cracking up laughing!! Please please tell me they are making this stuff up for a good laugh! Ice cream, ahhhhh!

Lynn Masters said...

GROSS!!!!!!!!! HIPPIES!!!!!!

Emily said...

oh my goodness, that is C.R.A.Z.Y. I don't know if I should laugh or throw up...ice cream seriously!, your husband drinking it for SIX years! coo coo!!

allison hanna cassady said...

That is WRONG on so many levels...ice cream??? really???